Student Job: Eco-tourism and Agri-tourism Assistant
Type: summer job / summer student position
Organization: Langford Conservancy
Location: Brantford, Ontario (near Hamilton, Cambridge) (rental accommodation may be available at Hearts Content Organic Farm)
Help us to plan, prepare for and host events at the Langford Schoolhouse, on an organic farm and along the Trans-Canada Trail.
- Do you want to learn about eco-tourism and agri-tourism? Are you interested in preserving farmland and rural heritage buildings?
- Do you want to help us to prepare the grounds for our community garden? Are you interested in getting your hands dirty and learning organic gardening and farming techniques? Do you want to learn about medicinal and edible plants, and how ecological farming techniques can help farmers deal with the threats from climate change?
The Langford Conservancy is a land trust that has preserved a heritage schoolhouse for the community's use. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive, supportive rural community. This summer, we are promoting a multicultural agri-tourism project.
You'll be involved in helping with:
- preparing our community hall including the grounds for events and workshops related to the community garden, medicinal and edible plant walks, and our annual SOS Fest,
- preparing for and promoting eco-tourism events and workshops,
- preparing the grounds along the Trans-Canada rail trail for medicinal and edible plant walks, eco-tourism and farm stays
- helping with small building projects to support our eco-tourism project (e.g. solar shower, Info stand for cyclists, bike repair station, accommodation for cyclists),
- learning organic farming techniques,
- helping with harvesting for events and
- helping to prepare community meals
- An enthusiasm to learn about organic farming, farm land preservation, eco-tourism, and agri-tourism
- You must have been a full time student in the spring term who is returning to school in the fall term. Applicants must be between 15 and 24 years of age, and legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Access to a vehicle, knowledge of social media and event planning, basic bookkeeping and marketing techniques
- An interest in small scale carpentry,
- An interest in organic farming and farmland protection,
- Spanish or another language
Start Date: Immediately,
Pay: $14/hour, 36.25 hours per week for 6 weeks. Flexible work hours. Must be available for some weekend work
For more information, see Lconserv.org.
Please send your resume, and a brief cover letter discussing why you are interested in this position and references (2 work related, 1 housing) to: ella@Lconserv.org or call 519-647-0307.