Ecological Policy Research Assistant
Type: summer job / summer student position
Location: Brantford, Ontario (near Hamilton, Cambridge) (rental accommodation may be available at Hearts Content Organic Farm)
Are you interested in researching policy to protect farmland, natural and cultural heritage and water? Would you like to learn about tools to enable access to farmland for new farmers? Do you want to help to write policy reports and grants applications related to this research? Would you like to help us to prepare teaching materials on these topics to help the community to learn about our work?
Sustainable Brant is a not for profit dedicated to supporting community education and engaging the public in local land use decision-making to preserve and protect farmland, natural heritage and water. We work to promote inclusive, transparent governance at the municipal, provincial and federal level.
Role: You'll be involved in helping with
- Researching some of the pressures on farmland, natural and cultural heritage and water in Brant County, in particular
- Reviewing and responding to recent government proposals that map a natural heritage and agricultural system,
- Preparing information on tools that enable access to land to new farmers
- Preparing a response to proposed water protection strategies and policies
- Writing grant applications to support our work
- Preparing presentations for the community, government and academic
- Organizing, interpersonal, communication and writing skills
- Enthusiasm to learn about and promote the preservation and protection of farmland, water, and natural and cultural heritage in Brant County
- You must have been a full time student in the spring term who is returning to school in the fall term. Applicants must be between 15 and 30 years of age, and legally entitled to work in Canada.
Access to a vehicle, GIS training
Start Date: Immediately, 30 hours per week for 8 weeks. Flexible work hours. Must be available for some weekend work
Pay: $14/hour, 30 hours per week for 8 weeks.
Rental accommodation may be available at Hearts Content Organic Farm.
For more information on our work, see Sustainable Brant
Please send your resume, and a brief cover letter discussing why you are interested in this position and references (2 work related, 1 housing (if applicable)) to: email@example.com or call 519-647-0307.